Sunday 4 November 2007

Absent numbers...

Representing the word 'absent' through a number sequence was definately fun but very challenging! My friends had no idea what they were getting themselves into when I asked if they'd do me a favour... it required them having to bend and hold very uncomfortable positions, as you can see in the photographs.



After photographing them shaped in numbers I traced around the outline to leave only the shape of the number. This was in order to reflect the absence of the person. I was happy with the result and didn't want to change it so decided to take on a different approach completely for my final pin-up.
I did some research and found that sans serif is the most legible and readable numeric typeface. Would it still be legible and readable if it were absent?
So I embossed the numbers onto paper in order to reflect the fact that the number itself is absent from the page- it is the paper that holds the number, not the typed numerals.

No comments: